Friday, July 30, 2010

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

Wives and Daughters (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) by Elizabeth Gaskell: Book Cover
Reader Rating:
I decided to read the book after I watched the BBC mini series. I get bored pretty easily when I read classics because the storytelling isn't as fast paced as I would like. Usually I get half way through and give up because things aren't happening quick enough and since I already know the story, there's no real incentive to finish it. I'm proud to say I actually finished this book but I was a little bit disappointed in the ending. I got to the end and was thinking "Where's the end?!!" In the BBC mini series, they changed the ending to be something happy and romantic. In the book, it just ends before any real resolution. In a way I felt robbed! ha ha! Don't let the ending deter you though, it was still a good book.



Wives and Daughters starring Francesca Annis: DVD Cover
I was a little skeptical at first when I started watching this but as it progressed I really liked it. I found it funny at parts and it follows the book pretty closely so it's a good substitute if you don't want to commit to reading 700 pages. I watched it on Netflix Watch Instantly if you have that.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Did you know that Gaskell died before she completed the novel? That's why the ending seems so abrupt. She did, however, leave behind plans for its conclusion -- sort of similar to the way 'North and South' ends.